Category : Win Lose Play
As I continue to build upon my proof of concept, things have been becoming more and more complex and not quite as straight-forward as I had hoped. Every aspect of a schedule adds to complexity as there are nuances that must be accounted for at every step of the way.
Well, after getting stuck for so long on the double-elimination bracket logic, it is nice to be back making progress. As it turns out, the double-elimination bracket logic only works for competitions with a power of 2 number of competitors.
Well, it took a bit longer than I anticipated, but I had a nice breakthrough tonight that has revitalized my energy and ambition and desire to continue with this project. I had been struggling the past couple of weeks with programmatically generating a double elimination style tournament bracket, which is more complex than it looks:
This week has been an interesting week in my personal life, but I still managed to make some significant progress in the scheduler software. It seems as though I am constantly being reminded at what I am embarking on, which is both good and bad. It is these moments where I am being tested that help establish who I am and who I want to be. But, enough about that...
Over the past week, I was able to build on the scheduling logic from before to add generic scoring and standings calculations and cleaned up quite a bit of what I had previously. I added authentication logic for creating a new user, logging in, and requiring authorization to create a new competition.
Today marks the end of the first week of my attempt to change the world. I know that's a bold statement, but in my mind, that is what I'm trying to do. I put my commitment to full-time employment on hold while I develop a software concept that has been evolving for the better part of a decade.