Everything from scratch

So, it’s been a little while since I posted much. I honestly don’t know how much has changed since then (don’t feel like referring back to it), but that’s because I know it’s a lot. After completing the proof-of-concept and a design prototype, I’ve started coding what will become the beta version, complete with the ability for beta users to highlight and blackout screenshots with notes. Yeah, it’s that serious.

The PHP MVC-style framework that I have been improving over time is coming in real handy now. I could have created all of my pages adhere to the controller/action URL scheme, but that would have been too easy. Of course, one of my requirements is to not just have “clean URLs”. I had to have a special URL structure, which I had been spending way too much time thinking about. For example, I created a spreadsheet containing all of the pages I could think of (at the time) along with URL variations and wound with something that is unlike much I’ve ever seen.

As a result, using a standard framework, methodology or some 3rd party tool would be nearly impossible without significant modification. It’s a good thing I have been writing it all myself, because I was able to get a MVC structure that allows for custom “slugs” (or “vanity paths”) even in the controller part of the path. What I wanted was to be able to say www.domain.com/organization-name/league-title/team/player/stats.html, for example. I want to allow end-users to be able create somewhat custom paths like that and my crazy framework is somehow able to accommodate it. At least, for now.

I’ve also been creating custom object models to represent my database tables, and that’s incredibly handy. I’ve learned quite a bit about PHP’s “magic” methods, static methods and properties, object inheritance, abstract factories, and heck of a lot more. Needless to say, progress hasn’t been as fast as I’d like, but building all of this framework and planning things through are making it much easier to expand from nothingness.

I’ve also been taking some breaks between coding to do some design work. I’ve got the logo, a promotional trial business card with a vanity QR code that I intend to use, and have been playing a bit of table tennis to clear my mind. In fact, I just hosted a 4-person double-elimination tournament. If only the software was able to be utilized! Ah well, soon enough.

One other incredibly important milestone that was made was integrating a credit card payment processing system called Stripe and I’ve been able to accept (in test mode) cards. That is going to be the only way I can get a return on the invest of my time, so it’s a big deal. I’m already up to revision 28 on the SVN repository, so that shows a lot of progress has been made. I have a feeling the coming month is going to result in a ton more.