There comes a time when time goes out the window.

Been a little while since I wrote on here about the bike, or anything for that matter.  While I haven’t been super active on the bike, I have been working on things related to it.  I spent most of the past month creating a decal sheet of the original GT Performer set, but in my preferred color scheme.

I ordered a set from UltraHIVE, the same set that matched the original set that was on the bike.  Then, I found the fonts that matched up what were used for the design.  It turned out that a font called Van Dijk was used for the words Huntington Beach and 100% Chromoly, or at least Van Dijk is the closest thing I could find.  It didn’t match up perfectly, when typed out and adjusted in Illustrator, but I was able to make it work with a little tweaking of the paths.

The next font was the word Performer (and also the 4130), which turned out to be Neil Bold.  For the actual GT symbol, I ended up just creating the glyphs on my own, because there is such little detail in them, and only a few curves.  I also recreated the scribbles in the background, which is what really took the most time.  Finally, I drew the cut lines for the die cuts, which included about a 1.5mm padding.

I sent out to get the sticker set made and I ended up with this.

It turned out great, but I accidentally forgot to a 3rd “small square” decal, to replace the one on the bottom of the bike.  The set only cost about 20 bucks to get made, so I can create another, complete set, or maybe even change up the design a little bit.  We’ll see how I feel about that.

In other news, my cousin is capable of doing the chroming on the bike at his shop, so that is a plus.  I have sorted out all the parts that can be chromed, by using a magnet, so that should be sent out soon.  While that’s being done, I’ll get back to finding the remaining parts that cannot be chromed, or cleaning up the ones that need not be replaced.

This does seem to be taking quite a long time to do, but that is just how I wanted to tackle it.  A little bit at a time, over the course of the winter, so as not to burn myself out and also to allow me to do other activities.  It will probably bite me in the butt, during the rebuild phase, but hopefully my documentation, memory, and the Internet will make that process go smoothly as well.

P.S.  The bearing cups were removed by hammering a flathead screwdriver down the head tube into the cup, and going around the edges.  Saved me from having to buy a 30$ tool.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *